It’s that time of year folks.
A time where celebrities who worked so hard during the year can get some critical gratification from their peers. Sometimes this translates as great viewing for the average viewer…sometimes not.
Now, I’m not going to go down category by category and explain WHY my opinion matters on this. Nuh-uh. If you want this, go check out a billion other websites. But I may release my Oscar pool at a later time for you to peruse without comment…or you can comment. This is a free Blogiverse.
I will focus on what I do best: movies.
Here’s how it works. In years past, I’ve waited for the Best Picture nominations to come out and then proceed to watch every single movie on that list before the Oscars broadcast to see how wrong the Academy has gotten it. That would give me about a month to watch. In the pre-2009 days, this would be only 5 movies. Completely doable. But since they introduced 10 in ’10, I had to do some pre-research (presearch?) to anticipate who should be on this list so I can knock some of them off before hand.
Thankfully, this year I’ve seen 6 of the 10 nominees. I will be releasing blogs on my usual days with my reviews (Wednesdays and Saturdays) until all 10 have been seen. Then…I’ll make my pick in a final blog the Saturday before the Oscars broadcast.
This entry will stay at the top of my Home Page until after the Oscars as a means to reference the reviews. To find the reviews, just click on the “REVIEW” link beside the movie name and the magic of the Rankatron will bring you right there. If there’s nothing there, you can click on the name to see the trailer.
Now that you know the rules of Dis Game, here’s the list of Nominees for the Oscars 2011 and my preliminary impressions:
- The Social Network – (REVIEW) You too can steal an idea and make millions if you’re crafty enough!
- Black Swan – (REVIEW) Nothing like the Ugly Duckling story I assume it’s about.
- Inception – Matrix Part 4: In Your Dreams
- The Kids Are All Right – (REVIEW) Whew! That’s good I was worried about them.
- The King’s Speech – (REVIEW) Better than Stutter by Joe and Mystical!
- 127 Hours – (REVIEW) Still less time than waiting in line at the DMV.
- Toy Story 3 – (REVIEW) Even more Toy Storier!
- The Fighter – (REVIEW) Rocky series in under 130 minutes…and it’s a true story!
- True Grit – (REVIEW) Sooooo what kind of grit have I been using all these years up til now?
- Winter’s Bone – (REVIEW) A story of a dog named Winter and his bone…or porn…I’ll let you know after I watch it.
So there you have it…oh there’s a hand in the back…what was that? Yes. I’ll still be doing newer reviews of things in between all of this. I realize not everyone loves the Oscars.
All other questions will need to be reserved until the end of the proceedings after the Oscars.