As with every year, I subject myself to watching every movie nominated for Best Picture. This usually means a manageable five movies between the nomination date and when the show airs on March 7th. I rank these pictures in order of awesomeness and pure kick-ass-itude.
This year? They double my movie load to TEN!
But I LOVE the silver screen. So I will watch them. With luck I’ve knocked off a bunch of them already.
Here’s a shortlist of who I expect to show up when everything is announced next Tuesday:
- Avatar – I think this may be TOO successful to win…if y’know what I mean.
- Up – A crazy old guy in a house pulled by balloons=Pixar gold
- Up in the Air – Haven’t caught it yet…but Clooney could conceivably act his way out of a paper bag.
- Precious – Another one I haven’t seen…but the buzz will make me check it out.
- The Hurt Locker – War…huh…what is it good for?…Absolutely movies! Say it again now! (Gut is leaning towards this to win but I’ll get back to you)
- Inglorious Bastards – Tarantino does senseless violence like no other. And who really doesn’t like Nazis as villains?
- The Hangover – Funniest movie in the past five years…maybe the decade.
- District 9 – Surprisingly refreshing…like Mountain Dew except with more poverty.
- Nine – that musical not the Tim Burton animation film “9”…what’s with all the nine’s last year?
- An Education – I know literally zip about this movie. Chalk it up to poor education.
- Crazy Heart – This year’s “The Wrestler” but instead of a broken down wrestler, it’s about a broken down country singer. People eat this up. I haven’t yet.
- Star Trek – Yes…it’s THAT good.